Alaska is a wonderfully unique place that is full of beautiful scenery and culture. It is also one of the best places to visit if you love the great outdoors. However, to make sure you see everything, you need to have a plan in place. Let us take a look at how you can plan the ultimate Alaska trip itinerary.
Choosing when to Visit
Most people who choose to visit Alaska will do so in the summer months. While this is generally warmer and the days are longer, there are plenty of reasons why you should also consider the winter months.
If you are embarking on a winter cruise on the Silver Muse Cruise Ship, then you can benefit from many advantages. These include fewer crowds, lower costs, the possibility of seeing the Northern Lights, and seeing seasonal events.
Do You Book a Guided Tour or Create Your Own?
There are two ways that you can visit Alaska, one is with a guided tour where everything is done for you, the other is by arranging everything yourself.
The one you choose depends on what you want to experience and how travel savvy you are. If you are used to booking and arranging your packages, then this can be a good way to travel. However, if you are unsure, then taking a pre-arranged tour is best.
What Should You Pack?
Because of the climate in Alaska, you need to be prepared for the weather and pack accordingly. Here are some ideas to help you choose the right clothing:
- Pack plenty of layers, this will keep off the cold and you can always remove layers if you get too hot.
- Pack rain gear that will keep you dry if the weather is bad. It will also stop you feeling damp all the time.
- Take a hat, gloves and a scarf even in the warmer months. This will help to prepare you for any colder days.
- Sunglasses are a must along with an eye mask. If you are traveling during the midnight sun, then these will help you to sleep.
What Are the Best Days to Do Each Activity?
Here is a list of some of the activities that you can do each day of your trip. This is based on a 10 day stay in Alaska.
- Arrive in Anchorage – You can spend the first day getting used to the area and seeing what Anchorage has to offer.
- Explore Anchorage – There are plenty of things to do in the city and you can spend a relaxing day exploring everything
- Travel to Denali – This is a beautiful location with a lot to see so you will need a couple of days
- Visit Denali National Park – A truly beautiful experience that will keep you busy all day
- Sightseeing in Denali – Because there is so much to see you need to spend a few days here, but it is well worth it
- Travel to and see Seward
- Cruise Kenai Fjords National Park – A cruise around the kenai Fjords national Park is well worth it
- Travel to and Explore Girdwood
- Explore turnagain Arm
- Return to Anchorage
This is only one of many ways you can explore the wonders of Alaska. With so many sights to see, you can easily explore more than is listed here.