Do I need to Call Police Immediately After an Auto Accident?
Car accidents may happen every now and then. Many accidents go unnoticed and people don’t want to report the incident to the police. This is because they believe that they will get into more trouble if the police come to the accident spot. If you have been injured in Seattle and you seek compensation, you will need to show the police report to the insurance company. Moreover, if you are going to sue the at-fault party, you will have to submit the police report to ensure that you have a stronger case.
The importance of a police report
A police report documents everything including the cause of an accident, injuries, damages, witness details as well as victim and the at-fault party information. These details give an unbiased view of the accident in addition to the viewpoints of both parties. This information carries special value when it comes to claiming compensation or suing another party in court. If you have not called the police after the accident, you may lose your compensation altogether.
An overview of a police report
It is important to understand what a police report will explain. Some of the facts of an auto accident are mentioned below:
- The location, date, and time of the accident
- Injuries caused to drivers, pedestrians, passengers and medical emergencies
- Damages to vehicles and other properties
- Statements of the witnesses along with their contact details
- Statements of both parties from their point of view
This is an important document, which is needed if you want to ask for compensation for injuries and damages.
How to file a police report after the accident
To file the police report, you need to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- As soon as your car collides with another vehicle, you must call the police. We all are aware of the police station number in our state.
- After the officials visit the accident place, you should tell them everything about how the accident occurred and answer the questions of an officer.
- The witnesses and other parties involved in the accident will also be interviewed. It is a good idea to get the contact details of these persons.
- You must get a copy of the police report so that you can attach the same as and when required.
If you have suffered bodily injuries, you should call a qualified attorney who can file the case for you.