My Employer Failed to Pay Me -What Should I Do?

Every day you work hard to make a living. On some days, you may prefer working extra hours in hopes that you will be paid. Similarly, you may have decided to quit your work, but your employer refuses to pay you. You have the right to get compensation for your hard work. Irrespective of your gender, immigration status, race, and more, you are entitled to get paid for each job you have done. 

If you are suffering from unpaid wages, do not settle for the discrimination against you. Experienced employee rights lawyers can fight for you to get your wages and hold your employer accountable for their actions. 

What should you do if your employer does not pay you?

One of the easiest ways to get your wages is to talk to your employer directly about the missed wages. If your employer refuses to pay you, you may ask them for a reason. The employer can sometimes have a valid reason for not paying you, which is known as a good faith dispute. For instance, the employer can tell you that the client has not paid them yet, so they will pay you once the client clears the payment. 

If the employer does not have a valid reason, you may take legal action with an experienced lawyer. You or your employer cannot decide if the reason is a good faith dispute. The judge will make the decision about the same. Additionally, if the employer purposely failed to pay you, you can get compensation in the following ways: 

  • Ask the employer directly for negotiation, with or without a lawyer, to avoid legal action. 
  • You can file a claim with the US Department of Labor. 
  • If your employer refuses to pay you even after talking to them about settlement or negotiation, you can file a lawsuit against your lawyer to get justice. 

Steps to protect yourself if your employer fires you or plans to quit:

  • If you consider quitting your job, speak to a lawyer before submitting the resignation letter. Sometimes resigning can make you lose your rights. 
  • When speaking to HR or supervisors, ask their consent to record the conversation. Do not record the conversation without permission as it is illegal and cannot be used in court. 
  • Keep your voice and tone professional when writing to your employer or HR. 
  • If you speak to your employer or HR on call, make sure you send a follow-up email detailing all the key pointers. The email can serve as vital evidence. 
  • Share your feelings with family or friends about your employer’s unlawful behavior. Their statements can be used as testimony. 

Leave a Reply

Back to top button